Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Free To Serve

Tonight's reading - Numbers 3-4, I Peter 2

Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. (1 Peter 2:15)

Free to be a servant. Sounds strange, doesn't it?

I once thought that the life of a Christian was tied down by a bunch of rules - do this, don't do that. But Peter points out that my thinking was wrong.

When I commit my life to God, I find salvation for my soul. My sins are forgiven, I am set free from the burden of sin, and my life is made new. It's a clean start!

God gives me the freedom to decide how I am going to live this new life. My way or His way. That was an easy choice for me. Living life my way created a mess out of my life. God's way had to be better. So I have chosen to live the rest of my life in service to God.

As a Christian, it is not just something I should do because I have to; I serve because I want to. And that is a big difference. God wants our worship, our time, our service to be given to him freely. A true servant's heart must be freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment