Friday, March 25, 2011

Flesh vs Spirit

Today's reading - Judges 20-21, Romans 8


For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. (Romans 8:5)


There's a lot of good stuff in the Romans chapter 8. We are saved and set free from bondage to the flesh. We are given hope and victory through our relationship with God. God loves us and there is nothing that can separate us from that love.


Been thinking this week about what real life change is. Life change is a battle. I sometimes find myself caught between what I want and what God desires. Caught up in this flesh, this earthly life, I think that I know exactly what I need to be happy and fulfilled. As I pray, I find myself presenting a list to God. "Here's what I need God. If you really love me, you'll give me all this."


I was reminded a few weeks ago that God's desire is not for me to be happy. No, God desires for me to be holy. He wants me to focus not on the physical but on the spiritual. And as my focus shifts from what I want to what God wants, I begin to change.


Change is odd. I know God has changed me over the past few years. I am not the person I was. I love what God has done with my life so far and I look forward to what He has planned for my tomorrows. But there have been moments when I have really questioned what God was doing to me. True life change can be difficult and painful. Letting go of old habits and thought patterns takes time and work.

Honestly, I've still got a lot of changing to do. I'm too full of myself when I should be overflowing with God. I am a work in progess. But I am learning how to live according to the Spirit and it is such a wonderful experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment