Thursday, March 3, 2011

Self-control

Read Numbers 7-8 and 1 Peter 4

Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. (1 Peter 4:7)

If I had to describe myself, the words clear minded and self-controlled would probably not make my top 10 list. These two attributes are things that I am still working on. I am a work-in-progess and proud of it!

Self-control is one of the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galations 5. I use to allow life and stuff to control me. I have learned though that I have a choice as to how I respond to life. That is self-control.

And it isn't always easy to do. A few days ago I encountered someone who was stressed out and irritated. She picked me as a target for her displeasure. Sadly my first response to her complaints was to say something that would not have been nice. But as that thought traveled from my brain to my mouth, I realized the best thing to do was to say nothing at all until she calmed down. So I bit my tongue and walked away from the situation for a bit. I calmed down - she calmed down and we were able to come back and calmly discuss the situation.

Learning to take a moment before I respond, especially in emotionally charge situations, has been a long hard lesson for me to learn. But in order for me to live more completely in God's will it is a necessary habit for me to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment