Thursday, July 28, 2011

Read The Bible - Reason #4

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (John 5:39 KJV)

"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you'll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! (John 5:39 MSG)

You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, (John 5:39 NIV84)


I love how modern technology enables me to have different Bibles translations literally right at my fingertips! Such a big help as I open myself to the truth of God's Word.

I so see myself in this verse! 'Of course, I am a Christian! I have read the Bible. I know the books of the Bible and I can recite scripture.'. Yep, that was me - so proud of my Biblical knowledge and understanding.

Unfortunately, I was so very, very wrong. Having all that head knowledge about all those Bible stories was never going to get me into heaven. Although reading the Bible is an excellent habit to acquire for continued Christian growth, reading and studying the Bible itself does not save us.

However, the Bible does tell me HOW to find salvation. The bible is truth - testifying to the one true way by which you and I can find eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment